Clark County School District

The Clark County School District (CCSD) has placed a strong emphasis on education, and, today, the CCSD continues to win national recognition for its programs. Current enrollment is 255,316 students and is expected to climb to more than 305,366 by the 2005 school year. The Clark County School District services Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Henderson, Boulder City, Indian Springs, Mesquite, Laughlin and Searchlight, as well as all rural areas in the county. It is the 6th largest school district in the nation according to Educational Research Service, with 175 elementary schools, 47 middle schools, 33 high schools, 23 alternative schools and 6 special schools for a total of 289 schools.

Children between the ages of 6 and 17 years old are required by Nevada law to attend school. Under a new state law, to enter first grade, a child must either attend a state-approved kindergarten program or pass a development test. Picking the right school for your child is of utmost importance. From kindergarten through college graduation in Las Vegas, here are some valuable tips and needed information for every parent and student.


Children must be five years old on or before September 30 to enroll in kindergarten in the Clark County School District. When enrolling your child in school, you must have two forms of proof of residence (utility bill, lease or rent receipt, sales contract) child’s identification (original certified birth certificate, passport or certified birth card) and immunization records. If you have previous school records showing placement in any special classes or programs, a recent report card showing the name and address of their former school, their most recent achievement test scores and/or any information about special health conditions will expedite the enrollment process and ensure proper placement.


Painful as it may be, all school-age children must be up to date on all of their immunizations in order to enroll in Las Vegas area schools. Kindergartners need five DPT (Diphtheria, Pertussis and Tetanus) vaccinations, four Polio vaccinations and two MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) vaccinations. For students new to Nevada schools (whether entering school for the first time, or transferring from another state),
the requirements are:

  • Two Hepatitis A Shots (2nd dose must be given at least 6 months after the 1st dose.), Three Hepatitis B Shots (Must have a minimum of four months between 1st and 3rd dose.), and Chickenpox (Varicella) shots (2nd shot only required if 1st shot given after the age of 13 years. Minimum of two months spacing between shots required.)

The Health Department also offers Hepatitis A and Chicken Pox vaccinations for a $15 administration fee. Parents of all school-age children can take advantage of these two opportunities anytime, not just during the back-to-school rush. Matriculating college freshmen also need to make sure to get Tetanus and MMR boosters.

Special Programs

The Clark County School District offers a wide range of specialized programs to meet the diverse needs of its student body. Bilingual and English as second language programs are available, as well as reinforced reading, gifted and talented programs. Every high school has an honors program and offers Advanced Placement classes. Valley and Green Valley High Schools also offer International Baccalaureate classes, which give students the opportunity to receive both high school and college credit for elective courses taken on the CCSN campus. Fourteen magnet programs are offered in addition to the regular curriculum including a performing arts high school, international studies, travel and tourism, math, science and communications and aerospace technology.


What school should my child attend?

Parents can search for what school their children are zoned to attend at Zoning Search. Staff may check this online if parents provide a student address. (See "Zoning" for the process related to attendance boundaries.)

How can I find out how my child's school is doing academically?

Accountability reports provide parents with specific demographic and academic information and may be accessed at CCSD Accountability Reports. For parents without Internet access, the report is available at a child's school or can be printed by any CCSD employee and mailed to the caller's address.

The Nevada School Performance Framework is the state accountability system, which classifies schools on a five-star scale. Reports may be accessed through the Nevada Department of Education website. Choose "Clark" from the "Select a District" drop down menu. This will display results for all CCSD schools.

The Nevada Growth Model describes how much growth a student has made, relative to his/her "academic peers", by providing a student growth percentile in reading and mathematics. To access schools' Growth Model Summary reports (Green & Whites), go to Growth Model Summary . Parent-student-teacher academic planning time (PSTAPT, formerly known as parent-teacher conferences) will be held October 4 and 22, 2013. Check with your school for more information.

Is my child eligible for transportation to school?

Go to and click "Check eligibility". Students must be registered for school prior to receiving transportation services. Parents must complete the CCF-705 and check the box requesting transportation. If all information remains the same from year to year, it is not necessary to re-register a student for transportation.

How old must a student be to enter school in Nevada?

Nevada law requires that students be 5 years old on or before September 30 of the current school year to enter kindergarten.

To enter first grade, a child must be 6 years old on or before September 30 and have attended public school kindergarten, state-exempted private school or approved home school. Students who are not six years of age by September 30 of the current year, but completed kindergarten and were promoted to 1st grade in another state qualify for 1st grade enrollment. Kindergarten is a required pre-requisite for enrollment in first grade; students who have not met this requirement will be tested for proper grade level placement.

To enter second grade, a child must be 7 years old on or before September 30 and have attended kindergarten in a public, state- exempted private school or approved home school. Kindergarten and first grade are prerequisites for enrollment in second grade. Students that have completed kindergarten, but not first grade, will be placed in first grade.

What information do I need to provide to register my child?

When a student is enrolling in a Clark County School District (CCSD) school for the first time or reenrolling, parents need the following items to complete the registration:

  1. One form of proof of address is required, such as a recent utility bill, rental/lease agreement, or mortgage statement. A driver's license, telephone bill, and/or cable bill are unacceptable forms of address verification. If the child and the child's family are living with a friend or relative, a notarized Residential Affidavit signed by the parent or guardian and the owner/renter of the property where the family is living is required. If the family does not have this documentation, contact the Homeless Outreach Program Office at 855-6682.
  2. Parents must provide an official, current, government-issued picture identification. A driver's license, picture identification, and/or passport, etc. may be used as acceptable forms of personal identification.
  3. Proof of child's identity. This may consist of an original birth certificate, a passport, or a certified birth card issued by the Southern Nevada Health District or another health district. Birth records for children born in Clark County are available from the Vital Records Office, located at the Southern Nevada Health District, 330 S. Valley View, Las Vegas, 759-1000.
  4. Up-to-date medical information for the student is also required. Parent(s) must have records indicating that the child has had or has started specific immunizations [NRS392.435]. See "Immunizations" topic below. Students can enroll but cannot attend school if the immunization requirements are not met.

What can be done for my child learning English as a second language?

All CCSD campuses offer Content Based English Language Instruction, and student should be enrolled in their zoned schools. Students will be taught the English language while learning grade-level appropriate curriculum. Students new to district will be initially assessed in their English language proficiency within the first 30 days of school, and ELL students are tested annually to measure English language growth. Depending on the campus, some schools have extended school days or before/after school programs to assist students in their learning of subject matter and English. Information is also available at the English Language Learners page.

Am I required to send my child to the zoned school?

Students must attend their assigned schools unless, under special circumstances, a zone variance is obtained. Requests for zone variances for the following school year should be submitted between March 1 and May 1. Consideration for a variance is usually based on whether or not a school has space available and on the requesting student's grades, attendance and behavior. Parents of students granted zone variances are responsible for student transportation to and from school. Questions may be referred to school office staff. Variance request forms are available at schools and should be completed and returned to the requested school. To appeal a zone variance decision, call the Academic Manager for your school.

What is CCSD's dress code?

All students are expected to wear proper attire to school in order to foster an environment that promotes learning. The school administration has the right to designate which types of clothing or appearance disrupt or detract from the educational program and may be a potential safety hazard. CCSD Regulation 5131 and Policy 5131 establish the guidelines for proper dress and for Standard Student Attire (see SSA topic).

What options are available for adults who never earned a high school diploma?

Individuals 18 years of age and older may register for adult education and earn a high school diploma. Classes and registration are free. Registration is required. Interested adults may register at the Adult Education Intake Center located at 2701 E. St. Louis, Door A (about a block and a half east of the intersection of Eastern and St. Louis). No appointment is necessary. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Friday. Individuals interested in testing for their GED must be 18 years of age (17 years with parent permission), possess a valid Nevada DMV license or Nevada state issued photo ID, be officially withdrawn from school, and pay the $60 registration fee. Pre-testing is available and free of charge after meeting with an Adult Education Counselor. Pre-Testing takes place at 2701 E. St. Louis St. from 8 am to 12 pm Monday through Friday. More information is available at Adult Education.